Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Red Lettuce with Balsamic Onions


Adapted from Ina Garten, Food Network

I know it sounds super simple, but it is sooooooo good. And you can use any leftover onions to throw on top of a cheese pizza or shove into a sandwich or top your bag o' lettuce the next day. This makes a crazy amount of dressing, so save for use throughout the week!

3 small red onions (or 1 great big one)
1/4 c good (but not your best) balsamic vinegar
1 c olive oil
1 1/2 t kosher salt
1 t freshly ground pepper (I use my coffee grinder for this since I don't drink coffee anymore)
6 T minced shallots (2 large)
2 t dijon mustard
1/4 good red wine vinegar
2 heads red leaf lettuce (or a bag or two if you are lazy like me)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cut onions in half and then into 1/4 in or so slices. Toss with balsamic, 1/4 c olive oil, 1 t salt and 1/2 t pepper. Spread out on foil covered rimmed baking sheet and bake for 12-15 min.

Remove from onion and toss with 2 more T of balsamic (I skip this step, personally.) Allow to cool.

Whisk shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, 1/2 t salt and 1/2 t pepper in a small bowl. Add 3/4 cup olive oil while stirring (I just shake everything together in a lidded tupperware cup until emulsified, but I already admitted I am lazy.)

Put out your lettuce, dress with vinegrette to taste (I don't put much on), top with onions, sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper and serve. You can also add avocado if you are feeling fancy!

No comments: