Friday, July 10, 2009

Orzo with Broccoli and Feta Cheese

A family favorite, even with the dreaded broccoli. If you have been to my house for dinner more than once, you have eaten this. If you are a vegetarian, it my favorite thing to cook for you. Really, the only thing I will cook for you. While I love my vegetarian friends, I am not so inventive for them.

From Bon Appetit

1 1/2 c orzo
1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets

1/4 c olive oil
3 T pine nuts
1/2 t red pepper flakes

3/4 c crumbled feta
3/4 c pitted halved black olives (I leave this out since my family is a bunch of haters.)
1/2 c grated parm cheese
1/4 c basil, chopped

Cook orzo in salted boiling water 8 min. Add broccoli to pot, cook for an additional 2 minutes, then drain, reserving 1/2 c pasta water.

Meanwhile, heat oil in small frying pan over med. heat. Add pine nuts and red pepper flakes. cook until golden brown (remove from heat when done as it will continue to cook a bit in the hot oil.)

Mix orzo, oil w/ nuts and remaining ingredients in a big bowl and toss everything together, adding pasta water in increments to make sure it isn't too dry. Season with lots of salt and pepper.

No comments: